Heading to India? The country is known for having some of the best food in the world and this guide to Indian food is here to help you!
India has one of the richest food cultures that you can find around the world. Some tourists even travel to India just to explore it and try the unique Indian tastes.
Indian food culture
If you plan to visit India soon, it is advisable to understand the Indian food culture to get the most out of it. Keep on reading, as we will share the useful facts that you will need to be aware of!
Indian food has gained great fame all over the world, for its spiciness and mouth-watering flavors that are incomparable. It varies across regions and different cuisines are served as per the region. Some common types of Indian food include North Indian cuisine, South Indian cuisine, Central Indian cuisine, Harbor cuisine, Rajasthani cuisine, and a variety of deserts.
The ingredients used in Indian cuisine are not only fresh, but they are also of various kinds. When talking about Indian cuisine, almost every ingredient is used to a varying extent. For example, red chilies and pungent spices like turmeric, cumin, and red chili powder are widely used in northern Indian cooking while coconut milk remains an integral part of south Indian dishes.
Read on for all of the essential information on the best dishes to try when on a trip to India and lose yourself in the delicious and rich Indian cuisine!
Before you could totally immerse yourself in the Indian food culture, you must remember about the visa required for all travelers wishing to enter the country.
Nowadays, it’s much easier to organize a trip to India since most foreign tourists are authorized to apply for an electronic visa instead of a regular one. Spare a few minutes and submit your application on https://visas-india.com/.
You can choose from 3 different types of e-Visa, depending on the reason for your trip to India:
- Tourist e-Visa: the best option for those wishing to choose India as a tourist destination or visit family members and friends; valid for one year; its holder can stay in India maximally for 90 days, no matter if it is a single visit or multiple trips
- Business e-Visa: a permit allowing participation in various meetings and activities of business character; valid for one year; its holder can stay in India maximally for 180 days, no matter if it is a single visit or multiple trips
- Medical e-Visa: the solution for those traveling to India and undergoing medical treatment there; valid for 4 months; its holder is allowed to stay in India maximally 60 days; this period can comprise either 3 visits or a single 60-day stay
The processing of your e-Visa application takes up to 72 hours, in many cases even less!
It’s no longer necessary to waste time in the embassy trying to obtain a regular visa, apply online, and enjoy your effortless visa application!
If you know all about e-Visa, you can get familiar with 5 most popular Indian dishes that you must try when in India.
The most popular dishes in India
Following are the most popular dishes that you can find in India. No matter what part of India you explore, you will get the opportunity to discover how these foods are available for your consumption.
Indians love making chicken in different ways. Out of those other ways, Tandoori Chicken has received lots of attention. It would be a great recipe to prepare barbecue chicken effectively.
Back in the day, Tandoori Chicken was prepared within clay ovens. However, you will notice how it is now being prepared on the grill. This wouldn’t create any impact on the unique taste that you can secure from Tandoori Chicken. You will even be able to keep Tandoori Chicken overnight and consume it the following morning.
Chicken Tikka Masala
Tikka Masala is another popular way to prepare chicken. This is a form of grilled chicken, which comes along with a creamy and thick gravy.
Once you take your first bite, you will never be able to forget the unique taste of Chicken Tikka Masala for the rest of your life. This is being served to the guests along with a tomato yogurt sauce. It is spiced with ginger, garlic, chili, and garam masala.
Naan is one of the most popular foods that you can find all around India. This is a puffy flatbread, which goes with numerous curries. Therefore, you can think about calling it as one of the most versatile Indian foods. For example, you can try naan along with kebabs and Tandoori chicken.
Naan is another vegetarian food available in India for your consumption. It is made out of flour, yeast, water, and sugar. However, there are situations where ghee, butter, garlic, and yogurt are added to naan to enhance the overall taste.
Vegetarian foods are quite popular in India. While exploring vegetarian dishes, you will notice how Malai Kofta has received a lot of attention. This is nothing but vegetarian meatballs.
They are made with a mix of peas, beans, carrots, potatoes, and sweet corn. You can often get Malai Kofta and cheese, enhancing the overall flavor that you can receive at the end of the day. If you prefer natural and vegetarian foods, Malai Kofta is something that you shouldn’t ignore.
If you are exploring the Northern region of India, Papdi Chaat is something that you will come across. It is the most popular North Indian snack that you can find out there in India.
When you are walking around the streets of India, you will see multiple vendors who are offering Papdi Chaat. Instead of enjoying Papdi Chaat as a snack, you can even think about having that as an appetizer. You can also enjoy Papdi Chaat with numerous sweet, spicy, and tangy sauces.
Now you are aware of the most prominent Indian foods that you will come across while exploring India. Keep these foods in mind and continue to explore India so that you can get a fascinating experience.
Remember to get your e-Visa, without which you won’t be able to enter the country, and your Indian adventure may be impossible!
We value and appreciate all our readers and supporters. If you wish to support CTG then please use our Amazon affiliate for your next purchase, it doesn’t cost you anything extra but we make a small commission, allowing us to continue building this website and sharing our love of travel with you.
- We LOVE this camera for our travel photography.
- For a cheap, easy, and compact camera, we use this to vlog and take photographs.
- We use this travel drone (but make sure to check drone laws in your chosen destination first).
- This is our favorite travel insurance because it covers so many activities and travel situations that could arise on longer trips but also offer year coverage.
What to pack
- No matter where we travel, I always take these trusty hand sanitizers and a mini first aid kit.
- We love these toiletry bags (especially great for smaller bathrooms) and choose a laptop bag like this as our hand luggage.
- We keep our devices charged on long travel days with these lightweight battery packs and bring these worldwide travel adaptors on all our trips.
- I still struggle not to overpack so stick to using an expandable suitcase like these and always take my trusty luggage scales to avoid being charged at the airport.