We know how hard it can be to budget and plan a trip to a new country. Prices online can vary and it can be hard to find a fixed range of prices for anything further than a hotel and flight. That is why we have created this Cost of Travel series where we ask travel experts and expats the travel costs and prices in their favourite countries and homes.
Or, from My Path In The World shares her advice in this Madrid Price Guide.
The exchange rate at the time of publishing (May 2019): $1 USD = £0.78 = €0.89
Introduction to Madrid
I fell in love with Madrid instantly. It’s a big and buzzing city, yet it feels cosy and not too hectic. Whether you’re a foodie, history and culture lover, or just looking for a great city break destination, Madrid should definitely be on your bucket list.
€60 – €90 per night for a mid-range budget double room.
Some of our favourites are:
- Hotel Nuevo Madrid – A luxury, 4-star hotel a little further out from the city centre. Rooms start at €80 but cheaper offers available if you book in advance.
- Hostal Bruña – In the heart of the city centre, this guest house offers great value for money with rooms starting at €760 for a double.
- Hostal Oriente – This 3-star guest house is a top pick because of it’s location and value; rooms start at €74.
- Gran Via Open Hostel – In a good location, this hostel offers both mixed and separate gender dorm rooms from €18.
- Madrid Fashion Hostal – If you are looking for a double room but don’t mind sharing a bathroom, this hotel offers a good price and good location.
- URSO Hotel & Spa – A luxury spa hotel in a restored palace, URSO is located near a metro and a great option for those looking for comfort on their visit to Madrid. Rooms start at €202 per night.
- Hotel Santo Mauro, Autograph Collection – Offering ‘celebrity treatment’, this top hotel offers spacious and perfect rooms in the former residence of the Duke of Santo Mauro. Rooms start at €470.
- NH Collection Madrid Suecia – With rooms starting at €180, this is a popular hotel not only to stay but also to visit. With a rooftop terrace with panoramic views of the city, this hotel is a great choice for couples
- €1.50-€2 for a single Metro ticket
- €12.20 for a 10-journey Metro ticket
Food and drink costs
- €2 – €3 for a breakfast combo of coffee and a croissant or toasts (sometimes it also includes orange juice) – There are some amazing Madrid Brunch spots so make sure you save some of your budget for these places.
- €10 – €25 for the main course at a restaurant (some restaurants offer a lunch menu called Menu del Dia. It includes 3 courses and a drink, and you’ll pay €10-€12)
- €2 – €5 for tapas
- €2 – €3 for a beer
Activities and attractions
Up to €15 for a basic ticket to the main sights. Most attractions can also be visited for free on certain days or hours. Make sure you explore the cool things to do in Madrid and make the most out of your time in the city.
- Bottle of water – €0.64
- Cinema – €9
- Coffee – €1.40 – €2
The capital of Spain welcomes around 6 million tourists each year and is a perfect gateway to exploring Spain.
I’m Or, a twenty-something aspiring travel blogger on a mission to help people make the most of their trips. I’m always in search of hidden gems and unique experiences in both touristy and non-touristy destinations. My biggest travel obsession is Spain, but I love exploring Europe in general and all continents are on my bucket list.