We know how hard it can be to budget and plan a trip to a new country. Prices online can vary and it can be hard to find a fixed range of prices for anything further than a hotel and flight. That is why we have created this Cost of Travel series where we ask travel experts and expats the travel costs and prices in their favourite countries and homes.
Bibi from Travels With Bibi breaks down the costs and prices for your dream Tanzania trip.
The exchange rate at the time of publishing (June 2019): $1 USD = £0.78 = €0.89
Note: USD is the preferred currency by nearly everyone living in Tanzania.
Introduction to Tanzania
I flew from Atlanta, Georgia USA to Kilimanjaro International Airport in Tanzania, Africa. While in Africa, I was fortunate enough to successfully summit Mt. Kilimanjaro where I scattered the ashes of six souls.
Travellers can find lodging ranging from $95 per night for budget travellers, $145 per night for mid-range, and up to $600 per night for luxury resorts.
- Promised Land Lodge – Located on the South Coast beach of Kizimkazi, this beautiful lodge is a fantastic value hotel. Rooms are spacious and clean with a terrace and the hotel is located on the beach. It is a steal at just $50.
- Afro Beach Bungalows Mafia – Want to stay on a beach but on a tight budget? This resort offers basic bungalows for as little as $40 whilst tents are also available for $20.
- Kendwa Rocks Hotel – Based on the golden Kendwa Beach, this hotel is affordable but gorgeous and perfect for those looking for a romantic retreat.
- Maasai Giraffe Eco Lodge – There is no denying that the views from this hotel are spectacular. Based in Ngorongoro, this quiet lodge is ideal for those looking to experience a unique location near Lake Natron and a tranquil but affordable place to stay.
Most travellers pay about $20 – 25 USD for a taxi from the airport to their hotel.
Food and drink costs
- Breakfast for two is about $12 USD
- Lunch for two is typically $20 USD
- Mid-range dinner meal for two people is $35 USD
Activities and attractions
I purchased a trekking package with ClimbKili and the cost for my 7-day Machame Route package was $2395 USD. After the trek on Kilimanjaro, I also went on a 3-day safari in the Serengeti which included the one-way plane fare, lodging, meals, a tour guide and safari vehicle, with return transportation to Arusha. The add-on cost of the safari was $1200.
Tanzania is full of natural beauty and incredible safaris – it is high on many bucket lists and for every good reason!