The Maid of the Mist Niagara Falls is a must-do attraction whilst visiting this landmark; we share Maid of the Mist tips for your next visit.
Why visit Niagara Falls?
Niagara Falls is one of our favorite places to visit in the entire world and for good reason. The falls are truly spectacular and take your breath away; no matter how many times we return.
There are plenty of attractions that offer a close-up view of the falls and nothing beats the world-famous Maid of the Mist; a double-decker boat that takes you from the USA side, along the Bridal Veil Falls and up close to the Horseshoe Falls.
Don’t forget, you can always go across the Niagara Falls Border Crossing to see the sights on both the US and Canadian sides.
Maid of the Mist, Niagara Falls – Travel Tips
Maid of the Mist opening times
The Maid of the Mist does not run all year round however; you can take this boat from May through to the end of October. Times vary but generally you can expect cruises to leave between 9am to 5pm on weekdays, until 6pm on weekends and until 8pm during the summer months of July and August. Check the specific opening times for your visit on the Niagara Falls Live website.
The best time to go on the Maid of the Mist
Head to the Maid of Mist at 9 am to avoid the crowds; this a popular attraction, especially in the Summer months. Take the Maid of the Mist first thing, then head over to the Cave of the Winds straight after, to avoid crowds at both attractions.
Cost of Maid of the Mist tickets
The price of Maid of the Mist tickets inflates slightly each year, with current prices being USD $25.25 per adult and $14.74 per child. There is no charge for children under 5.
You can also get the Niagara USA Discover Pass which includes the Maid of the Mist, the Cave of the Wings, the Niagara Discovery Center, the Aquarium of Niagara, and the Niagara Adventure Theatre. Please note: this pass was not available during the 2021 season.
Other attractions near Niagara Falls
There are plenty of other attractions to experience on both the Canadian and the USA side of the falls.
USA Niagara Falls attractions:
- Cave of the Winds – This is our favorite attraction; a chance to get up close and personal with the Bridal Veil Falls. Pop on your poncho and walk under the falls; feeling the rushing weight of the waters over you.
- Power Plant Ruins Site – Take a free elevator ride down into the Niagara Gorge, where the remains of the most powerful hydroelectric plant in the world stand. The plant collapsed into the Niagara Gorge in 1956 but visit the remains from May to October, whilst the elevator to the river is open.
- Niagara Gorge Trail & Hike Center – You can enjoy hiking, walking and cycling trails on the USA side of the falls; this will give you gorgeous nature views and a great sense of adventure.
Canada Niagara Falls attractions:
You can also head over to Canada using the Niagara Falls border crossing, to enjoy the attractions on both sides.
- CityCruises – Formally known as The Hornblower, this is also a boat that takes you up close to the falls and provides a fashionable raincoat too!
- Journey behind the Falls – Open all year round, this tour takes you behind the falls, viewing the falls behind portals behind the rocks that the falls crash over. You walk through tunnels that lead you to the fall of the falls; expect to get wet!
- Niagara Parks Power Station – Look at how power was generated in the early days, using the strength of Niagara Falls.
- Niagara Falls Zipline – Fly above the falls on this Zipline; a unique way of seeing the falls from above. This is one of the most thrilling ziplines in the America’s and a must-do for thrill seekers.
You can save money and take advantage of Niagara Falls packages:
- Niagara Falls Wonder Pass (£25 CAD + tax) – Includes the Journey Behind the Falls, Niagara’s Fury (a multi sensory film) and the Butterfly Conservatory.
- Niagara Falls Wonder Pass Plus ($44 CAD tax) – Includes all of the above as well as entrance into the Niagara Parks Power Station, access to the Falls incline Railway and a collectors ticket and pin.
Other nearby attractions
- Niagara Skywheel
- Skyline Tower
- Fallsview Waterpark
- Clifton Hill
- Niagara Helicopters,
- Whirlpool Aerocar
- White Water Walk
- Butterfly Conservatory
- Botanical Gardens
- Whirlpool Jetboat
- Niagara on the Lake
- Niagara Falls Aquarium
- Old Fort Niagara
- Historic town of Lewiston
- New York State Power Authority
- Adventure Theatre
- Cave of the winds