Heading to Niagara Falls? If you love fun & adventure, you can NOT miss the Niagara Falls jet boat whirlpool experience! Let’s tell you more.
On our second trip to Niagara Falls, we decided we wanted to do something a bit more exciting and thrilling than the usual Maid of the Mist. After some googling, we came across the Whirlpool Jet Boat; a high speed jet boat that whisks you through the rapids of the Niagara River.
Niagara Falls Jet Boat - The Experience
The whirlpool boat – Looking to get soaked? The most popular ride experience is the original Whirlpool jet boat, with an open top thrill ride that leaves you drenched.
Stay dry – For a similar thrill the whirlpool jet boat but a dry option, this boat whips you through the Niagara River Whirlpool with a covering above the boat. This is ideal for colder months or those wanting to bring a camera!
The Jet Boat Niagara Falls ticket price
Both boat options are the same price as each other but the currency changes depending on departure location. This ride costs $73.95 CAD when departing from the Canadian side or $63.95 USD when departing from the US side.
Whirlpool Jet Boat tours Departure locations
You can catch this boat from three different locations:
- Niagara Falls (Canada) – 55 River Frontage Road, Queenston, Ontario (around 20 minutes from downtown Niagara Falls).
- Lewiston (US) – 115 S Water Street, Lewiston, New York
- Niagara-On-The-Lake – 61 Melville Street, Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. (Across the street from the town Marina on Melville Street).
What to bring to the Niagara Falls Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours
- Payment card – Whether it is a credit or debit card, you will need to bring the same card with you that you made your reservations with. There is a retail and digital media shop that you can buy photos and videos from that accept card and cash.
- Change of clothes – If you are planning on heading anywhere but your hotel room, bring a change of clothes for the Whirlpool Jet Boat. If you are taking the covered option, you won’t need a change of clothes.
- Camera – If you are taking the covered option, bring along a camera for some great photos of your trip. If you are taking the version that will get you soaked, you could bring along a GoPro or waterproof camera but avoid anything other than this; we can’t stress how wet you will get. In fact, the company only allow cameras on the wet boats if they are on a wrist strap.
- Warm clothes – If you are visiting in the colder season, we advise you bring layers. It can get chilly on both boats, especially after getting splashed in the Whirlpool Jet Boat.
- Shoes – Again for the wet option, bring some spare shoes to wear on the trip. Alternatively, you can buy shoes from the tour company before your trip.
Things to know before you go
- Arrive: Make sure to arrive at least 45 minutes before your trip. 15 minute before your departure, there his a mandatory safety orientation to brief you about the trip.
- Bring the card you made your reservation with.
- Tours take around 45 minutes and follow the same route from both departing locations.
- The boat travels upriver (south) into the Niagara Gorge and through the famous whirlpool and the heads back through Devil’s Hole Rapids.
- Each Freedom Jet (covered) holds 62 passengers whilst the Wet Jet boats can cover either 48 or 54 passengers. Capacities have been adjusted for the 2021 season due to the pandemic.
- Restrictions: For the Wet trip, you must be at least 44 inches tall whilst you must be at least 40 inches tall for the Jet Dome trip. Guests under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Warning: The jet boat can be a rough ride but there is no age limit. However, the company recommend participants to be in good health, free of heart, neck or back issues and not pregnant.
- Lockers: All locations offer complimentary lockers for you to store your belongings during the trip. On the wet boat, you can only bring hats, sunglasses/eyeglasses and a waterproof camera with wrist strap.
- Waiver: Before your trip, you will need to sign a waver and these can be done on arrival or printed ahead of your visit.
- Photos and videos: Around 10 minutes after your trip has ended, you will be able to see photos and videos from your experience in the store. You can buy reasonably priced packages here so it is worth checking out.