Today we share tips for planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park, including the best time to visit, things to see and how to visit.
Want to see more videos like this?
Planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park
- Visit during May to October to fully experience the park; not all the roads are open in the winter months.
- June, July and August – Many people visit the park during these months so be patience and expect traffic.
- Plan and book ahead – Plan your visit and book accommodation ahead; lodges and campgrounds fill fast.
- Cell service is limited within the national park.
- Download the free NPS Yellowstone app which can act as your digital guide.
- Keep your distance – Do not approach the wildlife as you visit the park.
- Visit early or late – visiting the park before 9am or after 3pm will offer a quieter experience.
- Book a tour – If you are overwhelmed with planning your own trip, you can book an organised tour, either as a day trip or multi-day trip.
- Don’t underestimate distances – The park is massive and often you will experience traffic and road works. Plus parking spots at popular landmarks are in short supply, so plan your time, be patient and give yourself extra time to visit all your must-see sights.
- Stay the night – There are plenty of lodges and campgrounds to choose from but make sure you spend at least one night in the parks. Why? Not only can you get exploring early the next morning but you can also appreciated the incredible starry sky as the sunsets.
Yellowstone National Park is just one of the many things to do in the USA.