Heading to Vegas? We share the best free things to do in Las Vegas including free shows in vegas and free entertainment in Las Vegas.
How to visit Las Vegas on a budget
Free things to do in Las Vegas
The Aquarium at the Silverton
With over 160 species of fish and open 24 hours a day, the Aquarium is a fantastic free attraction based in the Silverton Hotel. Holding more than 117,000 gallons, this attraction is perhaps the best thing to do in Vegas for free.
Don’t miss the mermaid shows; you can even have a meal during the performances!
Fall of Atlantis at Caesar Palace
This is an upscale shopping mall on the Las Vegas Strip and is the highest grossing mall in the US.
Within the Fall of Atlantis, you can find a collection of statues that come to life during a special effects, lighting show that is completely free. The show plays every hour, on the hour, starting from 11am. Also check out the 50,000 gallon aquarium whilst you are there.
Flamingo wildlife habitat
Situated in the Flamingo hotel, this is a surprise for many Vegas visitors. Beat the heat, escape the crowds of the strip and enjoy these beautiful creatures up close. The Flamingo Wildlife Habitat is an idyllic escape with a four-acre garden, waterfalls, exotic birds, turtles, fish and streams.
This is one of the most popular attractions in Las Vegas and for good reason. From 3pm the fountains dance to music every 30 minute, then every 15 minutes after 7pm.
Head inside the Bellagio to see the beautiful Italian theming and, for a special experience, head to Lago or Prime Steakhouse for a delicious meal with views of the famous fountains.
Fremont Street Experience
Yes, you can spend money in the casinos, bars and restaurants of Fremont Street but the street itself is worth visiting and experiencing with its old style lights and ceiling light show. There is live music every night from 6pm and plenty of downtown attractions to enjoy.
The Viva Vision is the world’s largest digital display, running hourly from 6pm to 2am every night. It recently had a $32 million upgrade, making this experience a whole lot more mind-blowing!
Hidden away between New York New York and Monte Carlo is The Park; a walkway and park with intriguing sculptures, free wi-fi and plenty of seating area. Ideal for those looking for a bit of an escape from the strip. There is also a popular dance sculpture and water walls as well as occasional outdoor performances.
A lesser known attraction is the Garage Art found in the car park of The Cosmopolitan. They have allowed their garage doors too become a canvas for artists and of course, it is completely free to enjoy.
Bellagio Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
This is a unique place and a must-visit in Las Vegas. It is beautifully decorated and open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Opposite the front desk, the garden display changes seasonally and is worth admiring.
Visit during the Christmas holidays or Lunar New Year for special decorations; we love the Winter Wonderland on the lead up to Christmas (it includes a 42-foot-tall fir tree, a cozy Swiss chalet and Santa’s sleigh!
One of my favourite things to do in Las Vegas is to walk along the strip and enjoy the street performers. There is literally everything you could imagine and more – break dancing, singers, graffiti artists, musicians, cartoon characters and more.
The Mirage Volcano
Every hour, on the hour between 6pm and 11pm, the volcano in front of the Mirage hotel rumbles into life and erupts; delivering a fantastic show to the many tourists that experience it every day.
Fabulous Las Vegas Sign
A trip to Vegas is not complete without that iconic photo in front of the Las Vegas Sign. The landmark was funded in May 1959, and has stood at 5100 Las Vegas Boulevard South ever since. This is around one mile south from Mandalay Bay.
The easiest way to get to the sign is by driving a car but make sure to drive south on Las Vegas to be able to access the sign parking area.
Bonnie and Clyde’s Death Car Exhibit
Found just off the strip, head to the Whiskey Pete’s Casino and Hotel to see the Bonnie and Clyde death car, along with some interesting facts.
The famous pair were ambushed by officers near Sailes, Bienville Parish, Louisiana on May 23rd 1934. It was one of the most spectacular manhunts that the nation had ever seen at that time.
The Circus Circus hotel offers free circus performances every half hour from 11 am. Head to the upstairs level of Midway and enjoy the 40-minute performance. This is one of may free things to do in Las Vegas with kids and the mini-theme park inside Circus Circus makes for a great day out too.
Fountain Show at Miracle Mile Shops
Head to the mall to see a small but beautiful light show – on the hour, every hour from 12pm to 11pm.
The feature includes water effects and eruptions five stories high as well as colour changing fog and light bursts; all timed to a dramatic original soundtrack.
ARIA Fine Art Collection
Within the Aria campus, you will uncover the Fine Art Collection; Vegas’ first permanent public art space. Aria commissioned works from 15 acclaimed painters, sculptors and visionaries to create this unique art collection in Vegas.
The collection is free to see and open 7 days a week.
The world’s brightest light beam
Whilst wandering the strip at night, look over to the Luxor hotel. You will see a beam shining to the heavens; this is the world’s brightest light beam.
Visit the Eiffel Tower
Head over to the Paris hotel and admire the replica of the iconic landmark. The whole hotel should be explored during your visit, with fantastic theming, elegant casino, Parisian replicas and plenty of amazing restaurants and bars to enjoy.
Exploring and admiring the Eiffel Tower is free but heading up the tower itself will cost you, with ticket prices starting at $24.50.
Within The Venetian hotel, you will find canal shoppes complete with Italian singers and gondolas. Visiting the hotel is a must during your visit, with the theming being some of the best in Las Vegas.
Head through the impressive entrance before exploring the incredible interior. The hotel is also home to the Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, gondola rides on the water canals and a replica of St Mark’s Square complete with street performers.
Something we spent some time doing in Vegas, was checking out the shops! Visit the giant Coca Cola store (complete with a giant Cola bottle as an entrance) or enjoy the theming and chocolate galore in the M&M World.
Ethel M Chocolate Factory
Head over to this Chocolate factory and take a FREE self-guided tour. Sample some chocolate and check out the Botanical Cactus Gardens whilst you are here.
This is a free attraction and a great choice for foodies and families.
Many movies are filmed in Las Vegas so make sure you check out the locations – the lobby in Ceasars Palace was used for the Hangover movie whilst the Bellagio fountains were highlighted in Ocean’s 11.
The Biggest Golden Nugget
Head to the Golden Nugget Hotel and Casino to see the biggest Golden Nugget in existence! Head to the casino and enjoy free drinks whilst you play then explore downtown Fremont Street for cheap drinks and cheap tables (well, cheaper than the strip prices).
If you are a fan of the TV programme Pawn Stars, head to 713 South Las Vegas Boulevard to see the Pawn shop from the programme
Head over to the Anderson Diary factory to organise a free guided tour of the dairy factory – and enjoy free ice cream too!
Downtown Container Park
Head down to Fremont Street and check out the container park; an open-air shopping and entertainment venue using repurposed shipping containers.
Napoleon’s Dueling Pianos
Head to the Napoleon’s Dueling Pianos in the evening to watch a spectacular performance of Dueling Pianists! Great fun and affordable drinks.
Free shows in Las Vegas
- Circus Circus Act – This is the largest permanent circus in the world and it is completely free! Check out the Circus schedule for the different shows and either show up just before the event or reserve tickets on their hotline.
- Bellagio Fountains – There is something mesmerising and wonderful about watching these fountains dance along to the music. They are fantastically timed and each ‘performance’ offers something different and special. This water show happens multiple times throughout the day; see the full schedule here.
- Mermaid Show at the Silverton Hotel and Casino – This show is on 3 times a day in the Aquarium at the Silverton Hotel. The mermaids swim around, performing tricks and are also great with kids!
- Volcano show at The Mirage – In the front of The Mirage, you can’t miss the massive volcano that dominates the entrance. At 7, 8 and 9 pm, this volcano erupts, making a fantastic light and sound display for passersby. Head here early to get a good spot; especially on weekends.
- Music at Le Cabaret Bar inside Paris Las Vegas Hotel – Live bands and musicians play here every night, from 6 pm onwards. We found this open-air styled bar a romantic spot to unwind after a long day exploring.
- Fremont Street Experience – Along the top of Freemont Street is the largest video screen in the world. Here, you can watch a colourful and fun light show, every evening, on the hour starting at 6pm.
How much is a trip to Las Vegas?
- We LOVE this camera for our travel photography.
- For a cheap, easy and compact camera, we use this to vlog and take photographs.
- We use this travel drone (but make sure to check drone laws in your chosen destination first).
- This is our favourite travel Insurance because it covers so many activities and travel situations that could arise on longer trips but also offers year coverage.
What to pack
- No matter where we travel to, I always take these trusty hand sanitizer’s and a mini first aid kit.
- We love these toiletry bags (especially great for smaller bathrooms) and choose a laptop bag like this as our hand luggage.
- We keep our devices charged on long travel days with these lightweight battery packs and bring these worldwide travel adaptors on all our trips.
- I still struggle not to overpack so stick to using an expandable suitcase like these, over backpack and always take my trusty luggage scales to avoid being charged at the airport.